For patients that are free of dysbiosis (fungus, parasites, bacteria and virus), the liver flush can be of great benefit in improving digestion, metal and chemical detoxification, thoracic pain, and food intolerance. Dr. DeFino may recommend that the flush be repeated if needed at two weeks intervals up to 4-6 times maximum.
During the two days of the flush, leave off all supplements and non- essential pharmaceuticals and make sure that the second day is free enough that you can spend it resting if that is necessary.
- Eat a non-fat breakfast and a non-fat lunch.
- Do not eat or drink anything after 2pm except water.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of Epsom salts in 1½ cups of water and refrigerate. This will make up 2 doses.
- At 6pm drink half of the mixture (one dose). It tastes bad so drink it quickly (using a straw may help.)
- At 8 pm drink the remaining half of the mixture.
- Take a bottle of extra virgin pressed olive oil and 2 grapefruits out of the refrigerator and make sure that you do everything you need to do in order to be ready for bed at 10pm.
- A little before 10pm, fresh squeeze ¾ cup of grapefruit juice (remove the pulp) and add ½ cup of olive oil and shake it very well.
- At 10pm drink the mixture quickly while standing up. A straw really helps. Make sure you are totally ready to go to bed at this point.
- Lie down immediately after drinking it, stay on your back very still for about 20 minutes and then go to sleep.
- Do not be surprised if you experience nausea and gastro-intestinal discomfort throughout the night. There should be no pain.
- Expect loose watery bowels in the morning. Some patients do more Epsom salts in the morning if they did not have diarrhea or a bowel movement at all. The bowel movements are often with pea-colored “stones”- sometimes 100 or more. The “stones” are made of cholesterol (a fat) so they will float to the top.
- Collect a few, put them in a clean, empty supplements bottle and bring them in for muscle testing on your next visit. If your visit is not for a few days, you can store them in the freezer.
- Eat just fruit for breakfast and a non-fat lunch.